Friday, June 24, 2011

Dulce de Leche: road to brownies

When i crave for chocolate i would opt for something like brownies coz my Daim chocolate is not rich enough. I found the recipe here and gain some inspiration here. I learnt a lot about making Dulce de Leche from David Lebovitz.


Dulce de Leche
Owe me big time. I dont follow the instruction coz my condensed milk(CM) is already in a container
Trial 1: put 150ml CM +salt in aluminium foil......into the oven and water bath, 200 degree celcius, 1 hour
-didnt brown at all, no signs of caramelization
-instead the water enter the foil and make CM became more watery
Trial 2: put 150ml CM +salt in a stainless steel pot, cover with foil -->  into the oven and water bath, 200 degree celsius, 1 hour
-didnt brown at all, no signs of caramelization
Trial 3: trial 2 without foil cover --> oven and water bath, 200 degree celcius, 1 hour
-sign of caramelization noted on the surface, still long way to go and I'm dying of brownies hunger
Trial 4: Patience is not my virtue but Thomas Edison must be proud of me, just stir the CM on low heat, keep stirring
-caramelized nicely, condensed milk prone to burn so stir all the time, dont let it form a crust
taste like Snickers, too bad it stuck on my braces
my swag
150ml condensed milk *i use Sunbeam, its more watery
pinch of salt
-->stir on low heat, can add water to accomodate smooth stirring(in my case, its accidental)


Dulce de Leche Brownies

  • 115g butter
  • 170g bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped *i only have cooking chocolate
  • 25g cocoa powder
  • 3 eggs, L size
  • 200g sugar *i use 100g brown sugar to balance the sweetness from cooking chocolate
  • 1tspn vanilla essence
  • 140g plain flour
  • 100g nuts *i skip this 
  • 250g dulce de leche *i use less than that, about 150g
1) Oven preheated to 175 degree celcius
2) Cooking choc + butter ---> double boiler, + stir in cocoa, set aside
3) Beat eggs + sugar + 1tspn vanilla essence--> mix + (2) + flour
in the making
The verdict:
-almost all my friend love it, some even ask me to sell :P
-some think it should be > moist by shorten the baking time. I baked for 40 minutes, maybe i wud try steaming it next time
-some said it shud be cracked, seriously i'm afraid if i do that i might burn the brownies
-definitely worth trying, wud make again next tyme
looks bad from this angle but your taste bud wont deceive


No comments:

Post a Comment